Monthly Archives: April 2017

Had to replace the batteries too

I’ve known for a while that the house batteries (a bank of 4 6-volt golf-cart batteries that keep the motor home supplied with electricity when we’re not hooked up to anything) were in poor shape.  It’s been a while since we’ve been unplugged however, and while we were waiting for our tires to be replaced I watched the battery charge indicator go from 100% to 20% in about 15 minutes.  Needless to say, that meant the batteries needed to be replaced.  After the tires had been replaced I made arrangements with Shannon’s to replace the batteries too.  We came back on Friday and had that done.

The starting batteries were still working okay, but they were factory-installed originals and are now almost 10 years old, so I had them replaced as well.  Like the tires, not cheap, but necessary.

Replacing our tires

I’ve been getting our motor home ready for traveling.  One of the most important things that needed to be done was to replace the tires.  They were overdue for being replaced since they are nearly 10 years old.  We would have replaced them last year but since we ended up staying the entire summer it didn’t make any sense to do that then.

I had gone to Love’s tires first but they ended up saying they couldn’t find tires with a high enough load rating.  Our tires need to be able to handle 7160 pounds for a single tire and 6000 pounds for a double tire and this is very high end of what you can get for 16-ply tires and most trucks don’t need that high of a rating.  The staff at Love’s suggested I go to Shannon’s in Benson since they work on motor homes all the time.

Shannon’s was able to find the tires we needed and ordered them.  Last Tuesday we drove down and had them replaced.  I had to back the motor home so that it was under their front awning and there was just enough head room to do this.

They had to get under the motor home to place the jacks, which is something I’m glad I didn’t have to do since it is a tight fit.

Here’s what it looks like with the back tires off.

And here’s what it looks like with the new tires in place.

They only took about two hours to get this all done.  Not a cheap process but I feel much safer now that it has been done.

Installed a lip on top of our cabinets so things won’t fall off when we drive around

I’m slowly getting us prepared to hit the road again.  We’re aiming at the beginning of May but don’t have a definite date yet.  I’ve been working on a number of projects and have repair parts on order for a number of things that need to be fixed.  We’ve been sitting in one place for so long it was easy to put these projects off, but now I have to get them done and it’s been keeping me busy.

We have built-in cabinetry in the bedroom and the kitchen.  Since they’re convenient spots we of course use them to put stuff like kleenex boxes and whatnot.  The problem is that when we travel, unless we take everything off them and keep everything off them, whatever we put there tends to fall off when we travel.  The solution I came up with is to install a lip on top of them so things won’t fall off so easily.

I got some 1″ x 1-1/2″ oak boards and rounded the corners and mitered the ends and then drilled holes for screws to go through.  When that was done I stained them and coated them with polyurethane.  Today I installed them in both the bedroom and the kitchen.   This is what the kitchen unit looked like before I started.

It has a Coriander top which I drilled into.

And then screwed the oak board into the holes, edge on.

The new edge can’t prevent things from flying during a panic stop (you’d be surprised how many thing end up in the front of the motor home after you have to stand on the brakes so you don’t hit the idiot that just pulled in front of you and then came to a sudden stop for no particular reason), but during routine travel everything should stay put.